DAME is the Deadly Alien Map Editor.
Please upgrade your Flash Player This is the content that would be shown if the user does not have Flash Player 10.1 or higher installed.
It's a 100% free multi-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux) 2D map editor for indie game developers.
Click on the badge to the left to install it now. Or see below for Windows .exe or direct links.
NOTE: The badge installer has been known to fail on Chrome: See here
News: DAME 3.1.5 out. Sprite trails are fixed. Try them out!
- Tilemap editing for 2D and isometric tilemaps as well as tiles with "height".
- Tile matrix to make it easy to place blocks of tiles using customisable autotiling algorithm.
- Drawing on tiles and sprites directly within the editor.
- Tile brushes.
- Reload tile map images while in the editor.
- Sprites (animated and from sprite sheets).
- Sprite animation editing.
- Paths - polygons and splines.
- Path instancing and attaching sprites to paths.
- Textboxes supporting all system fonts and bitmap fonts.
- Add links between objects to easily set up triggering.
- Shapes (box and circle) so you can set up triggers or whatever you want.
- Can write custom exporters using Lua and some DAME functions.
- Pre existing exporters and samples for both flixel and flashPunk frameworks. And an xml exporter too.
- Maps can be resized with ability to choose placement in real-time.
- Supports jpg,png and bmp.
- Custom properties tied to maps, tiles, sprites and any object you place down.
- Snap to grid.
- Multiple layers, including grouping.
- Add image layers to use as a guideline for your tiles and sprite placement.
- Onion skin option.
- Scaling and rotating.
- Undo, copy and paste.
- Import parts of other DAME projects into the current one being edited.
- Add bookmarks so you can quickly navigate around huge maps.
- Add sprite trails to automatically populate paths with sprites.
- Select, copy, paste, move, scale your tilemap tiles in real-time.
- Animating tiles.
- Choice of themes.
- Rip tilemaps from images.
- Share spritelists with multiple projects.
- Many more features already present and planned for the future...
For automatic install click the install button at the top of the page. Alternatively download the exe (Windows):
Or for the manual air install (Multiplatform friendly) click the two links below.
You'll need Adobe Air to run it:
Download and install DAME here:
Here is a video showcasing some of its functionality:
Make games your way
DAME is ideally suited to flash games in flixel, because it's actually made using the flixel engine and if it shows up in the editor fine then you know it will work in your own game. But it is designed to be flexible enough to work for almost any type of 2D game engine, which is why it supports many features like the ability to write your own exporter script using Lua, so that you can export to any format you like - code, XML, some other weird format.
In fact, it comes with exporters for flixel and flashpunk, both excellent free flash game frameworks.
It also supports full object scaling and rotation and dynamic properties so that it's easy to create some truly dynamic maps!
DAME is free. If you make a game and make millions of dollars from it, well, you could always give me and DAME a mention in the credits so that more people can use this great piece of software! But I'm not asking for a single cent. If you really want you can click on the donate button on the sidebar to the right of the page, but you're under absolutely no obligation to do so.
DAME is also now open source and available here.
Go to the DAME Samples page to see all the samples or download them here:
And here is a playable flash 'game' made using DAME featuring none other than one of the DAMbots...
Why did I make this?
I wanted to make a simple (ok, not exactly simple) flash game, and tried some free map editors here and there. To start with they were ok but then as my needs grew the editors didn't. I just got a bit fed up of always finding free map editors that were unfinished or weren't flexible enough to do what I wanted so I thought about what an editor would be like that I actually wanted to use, and this is it.
Please don't host DAME on your website without my permission first!
Here you can find a list of some of the previous version of DAME, so that if anything does go wrong you can at least work from an older version until the issue is resolved - I'm sure that will never happen though!:
- current version: http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME.air
- version 3.1.4 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_3_1_4.air
- version 3.1.3 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_3_1_3.air
- version 3.1.2 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_3_1_2.air
- version 3.1.1 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_3_1_1.air
- version 3.0.0 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_3_0_0.air
- version 2.1.4 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_2_1_4.air
- version 1.3.1 : http://dambots.com/games/dame/DAME_1_3_1.air